Monday, May 18, 2009

Stuff and things


Today Albert hauled 3 large cedar logs up the hill to the front yard for me, and I think we can get the last very thick one as well. Happy happy to be working, and to get to eat grass as a reward each pull. His breeder, Don Cope, called me on Friday, and told me that he has Albert's full brother for sale, and would like me to have him. I'll have to ponder that. I'd have a color matched team, which would be nice - but man, if they are both as full of beans as Albert, I might have two singles!

Been starting to get my slingshot skills up to par again - was fine as a kid, and even had taught myself how to use a sling (David and Goliath anyone?). The BB's Marq got are too small I think, would rather have marbles (more fun for clients to find while out herding anyway) but nevermind, I've used most of them up, until Marq gets out the metal detector in his spare time. I do use Pow tethered to a post while shooting, then loosing him after I've done a round, to help find them. He's trained to find spare change, and while there may be a slight delay while he figures out what scent exactly BB's are, he wasn't too bad. Asking him to down to indicate when he finds them - he gets about as many as I do looking, so that's another advantage. He lies quietly while I shoot, and he's happy to search for them after.

Brick, on the other hand, is a bit sensitive to my focus and release while shooting. I found him coming at me, barking, growling and leaping while still tethered to the post, as I shot. The placing of the ammo, the standing up, the getting in stance - he could care less. The pull back even, doesn't bother him if I'm not thinking or focusing. But as soon as I focus and aim, then fire - he's out of his head and very upset. It'll take some training to get him to steady up on that, I think I finally got two quiet sits out of him by my side while firing, but he doesn't like it. He needs some work on his metal detection, he's not used to finding something that small in such a large space.

No comments: