Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back to work, finally, for Albert


After 2+ mo of me being too ill to have extra energy to work Albert, even set him out to graze, I got him out and hitched him up to drag some brush yesterday. No big deal, worked great, his stops and stays were better ( ground tying needs to be something I start working on 24/7 with him, he's never good with it, gets bored too easily). Thing we noticed though? His harness finally looks small on him! I'll take a picture if I get a chance tomorrow, but wow. He's been growing, and I'm going to have to get another longer sweatpad soon for under his hames. His hames should last a while, had another hole left to move up to use more of their surface area.

Whiskey needs to learn where to be though, when supervising my work with Albert. The same problem I have in the house, where Whiskey is ahead of me in the hallway and she just trots ahead but doesn't actually move to the side to let me pass if I'm faster. She doesn't care if you pinch her butt fluff, and doesn't care if you goosestep and hit her hocks. She does the same thing in the woods, where Albert and I move at a pretty quick speed once he breaks the load and gets it moving. She finally moved over to let us pass, but then wanted to be even with the head of the load, which wasn't the best place either. I think she'll figure it out, or I'll have to tell her to wait, or send her out ahead at a distance if she's working with us. I imagine that the working Dalmation people must have this same problem occasionally, with a dog not sure of its preferred working spot.

No comments: