Monday, August 9, 2010

Preparations

I can't wait till fall. Hopefully, Marq and I will feel better (battling Lyme yet again, likely unresolved from last year), it will be cooler, there will be pups to trial, rabbits and squirrels to hunt, fall garden stuff to fuss over and a new season to enjoy.

For the falconry assistance dog project, I need to put together a bag - both training stuff and first aid kit. Given we have branches, briars, barbed wire, snakes etc, it'll probably get fleshed out with a full set. A., a falconer in San Diego, from the positive gun dogs yahoo list, recommended:

skin stapler, chlorhexidine, betadine, triple antibiotic, battery powered close clippers, styptic, hemostats, bandage scissors, suture scissors, tick remover, rimadyl, benadryl-oral, paw treatments, and on and on through enough bandaging materials to be able to put together a bob-jones splint.

C., in Denmark, recommended:
bandages (melonin, vetflex, tensoplast and some cotton)
chlorhexidin 2% solution in a small squirtbottle for cleaning wounds
glukosesugar in tablets (dogs can work themselves into a hypoglycemia, it's even happened for one of my own dogs, to my eternal shame)
a thin but strong blanket - can be soaked and used to cool down an overheated dog or can be used as a makeshift stretcher to carry an injured dog (needs two humans, though)
I've got an eyewash too. Don't mix it up with the chlorhexidin...

So...given that my bday is end of sept and season starts in Oct....I think I'll see if I can find a good premade kit linked to Amazon and make a falconry dog wish list. That way I have everything in one place, and I'm not stealing from farm supplies every time I go out to hunt. I'll also have a training kit bag just for falconry, so that I don't run around looking for clickers or treats or long lines while people are waiting on me to go go go early in the am on a crisp fall day. I did order my long line from K9Noz, and Bud there made me a very light neon yellow one that is just perfect out of biothane. Love it. Been using it for bunnies and for herding so far. As you can see from the first aid kits - this is not necessarily an injury free sport, which is fine. I don't want my dogs to be cute little fuzzies. Injuries from work is fine with me, although I do my best to prevent them I'm not scared of them happening. If that makes sense. I'm not going to not work my next generation because they are too precious to risk.

I have been working them on the rabbit and getting them to bark at it and work it if they can't reach it, as well as their call offs. They are always thrilled to course it, but they've got to work on finding it, as that will be their job with the falconers.

Pups have started to go to Bon-Clyde training facility during open work hours to start on their rally obedience and other such stuff. They like it, although Gonna does NOT like watching me with other siblings. Collies - who cares. Adult dog from her household - who cares. Malcolm - complete hissy fit. So it not only has to do with my attention to the dog and the dog getting to work with me, but also her relationship with that dog.

Ducks are getting dog broke by the day, and are going to be a really nice friendly fetchy group. Keeping a dog with them at all times makes for very calm ducks that still move off a dog fine, but don't panic and don't stress so easy.

Ok - I'm off to see Step(was Jim) at his farm for a lesson - hopefully I'll survive the heat and be able to work him some.

No comments: